Garage door springs are an essential part of your garage door system. They help to counterbalance the weight of the door, making it easier to open and close. However, garage door springs can wear out over time, and if they break, they can be dangerous. That's why it's important to choose the right garage door springs for your needs.
Types of Garage Door Springs
There are two main types of garage door springs: extension springs and torsion springs.
- Extension springs are the most common type of garage door spring. They are located on the sides of the garage door and are attached to the top of the door. When the door is opened, the springs extend, and when the door is closed, the springs contract.
- Torsion springs are located at the top of the garage door, above the door opening. They are wound tightly around a shaft, and when the door is opened, the springs unwind, and when the door is closed, the springs wind back up.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Garage Door Springs
When choosing garage door springs, there are a few factors you need to consider:
- The weight of your garage door: The weight of your garage door is the most important factor to consider when choosing garage door springs. The springs need to be strong enough to support the weight of the door.
- The frequency of use: If you use your garage door frequently, you will need springs that are designed for high-traffic areas.
- The climate in your area: If you live in an area with extreme temperatures, you will need springs that are made from materials that can withstand the elements.
How to Install Garage Door Springs
If you are comfortable working with tools, you can install garage door springs yourself. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully to avoid injury.
Here are the basic steps involved in installing garage door springs:
- Disconnect the garage door opener.
- Remove the old springs.
- Install the new springs.
- Reattach the garage door opener.
Hiring a Professional
If you are not comfortable installing garage door springs yourself, you can hire a professional to do it for you. This is the safest option, especially if you have a heavy garage door or live in an area with extreme temperatures.
Choosing the right garage door springs is important for the safety and longevity of your garage door system. By considering the factors mentioned in this blog post, you can be sure to choose the right springs for your needs.